The air is cooling down and the leaves are changing colors, which means fall is here! With forests covering the majority of our state, Vermont bursts with color as soon as autumn comes. People visit from all over the world to see the brilliant red, orange, and gold hues among our vibrant maple trees. Admiring the foliage isn’t all there is to do this season: pumpkin patches & corn mazes, apple orchards & farm visits, and craft beer trails & sugarhouses are all equally as abundant as the leaves. This season is truly something special here in the Green Mountain State. Among our favorite sights are the many historic covered bridges with colorful vibrant backdrops, so we crafted this fun mini road trip and guide so you can see the best of the local covered bridges during your stay at our lovely Vermont inn – recently recommended by the New York Times as one of the three best places to stay in BTV!
Fuel Up for a Full Day
- Wake up in your cozy room to the smell of fresh coffee! Enjoy our locally sourced, made-to-order breakfast and get ready for your day of sightseeing!
- Begin the short drive to Waterbury, Vermont, and start your day off sweet with a tour of the Ben & Jerry’s Factory, where you can learn how they get the deliciousness into every ice cream scoop! Then try some of the endless creative and tasty flavors available in their Scoop Shop!
Covered Bridge Rd, Stowe, VT 05672
- Once you are fully energized with all that sugar, start your cruise along Route 100, a notably scenic drive, to your first covered bridge of the day, Gold Brook Covered Bridge. This bridge is more commonly known as Emily’s Bridge because it supposedly has been haunted by a ghost named Emily since 1968. But don’t worry because the paranormal activity usually only occurs during the night!
- Stay for a little while in the lovely town of Stowe, Vermont, to shop, visit art galleries & museums, or even zipline through the foliage! Plus, with their diverse food scene, you are sure to find the perfect local café or restaurant for lunch.
- After eating, walk over to the mini-covered bridge on Mountain Road that overlooks Little River.
- If you’re a beer lover, make a pit stop at The Alchemist, a family-run brewery, and try the Heady Topper! People travel from all over the world to cross this famous brew off their drinking bucket lists, and it was recently rated the fourth best beer in the world by Beer Advocate.
- Visiting during apple season? Make sure to visit Cold Hollow Cider Mill! You can see cider being made the old-fashioned way, watch the honey bees that pollinate the orchard, and savor one of their famous Cider Donuts!
272 VT-100C, Johnson, VT 05656
- Now that you’ve refueled with more desserts, get back on the stunning Route 100 and head to Johnson, Vermont, to see the Power House Covered Bridge with a view of the abandoned powerhouse and river, plus a nearby woods walking path! Also, the Scribner Covered Bridge is only about a mile down the road.
Cambridge Junction Road, Cambridge, VT 05464
- Follow Highway 15 along the Lamoille River until you reach the Poland Covered Bridge, a walking bridge! It can be a little hard to find since it is closed to traffic, but this makes it a great photo opportunity and perfect for a peaceful stroll along the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail, New England’s longest rail trail.
79 Grist Mill Drive, Jeffersonville, VT 05464
- Drive less than two miles to the Grist Mill Covered Bridge, one of only nine surviving Burr arch bridges in the state.
- Make one last pit stop at Boyden Valley Winery for a tasting or a bite to eat! This fourth generation winery has over 800 acres of land and created the award-winning Vermont Ice Maple Cream Liqueur, a delicious combination of Boyden Valley Winery’s original Vermont Ice Cider, Vermont apply brandy, cream, and maple syrup.
- Start the journey to your home away from home at our charming Inn. Choose any route for the short drive back that you would like to explore.
So if you’re looking for an authentic New England fall getaway, look no further than Lang House on Main Street! You can enjoy the best of autumn in Vermont with our day trip and ultimate guide to the unique covered bridges during your stay at our luxurious bed and breakfast.Book Now