Vermonters have a lot of history to celebrate every July 4th. Here in Burlington, we do it in style with barbecues on North Beach, maple creemees, and a fantastic fireworks display over Lake Champlain.
Here’s a historical pop quiz: who helped take Fort Ticonderoga, Crown Point, Fort George, and Saratoga during the American Revolutionary War?
Answer: Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys. Ethan Allen was a fiery politician from Vermont’s early years who also founded the famous group of militiamen. Much of the land he owned in Vermont became the city of Burlington. You can even visit Ethan Allen’s homestead while in the Queen City!
Here are several Independence Day events to check out during your stay at the Lang House on Main Street in Burlington, Vermont. We hope you’ll be joining us! Check out our availability calendar to see which rooms we have to offer.
- Burlington Fireworks and July 3rd Celebrations (full schedule of events): Don’t miss live music at four different lakeside parks, a biplane airshow, and the famous fireworks! Transportation is easy with the free College Street Shuttle taking you right down to the water — it stops only a block from the Lang House on Main Street. (Tip: Kat Wright & the Indomitable Soul Band, a popular local band playing at the Waterfront Park, will be a real treat!)
- “Madaila at Sea” on the Lake Champlain Ferry: Taking the ferry across the lake is one of the most scenic, relaxing, and enjoyable ways of getting from New York to Vermont. To celebrate our nation’s birth, local musicians Madaila will be performing on the boat as it takes a three-hour sunset cruise around Lake Champlain. The boat leaves promptly at 7 p.m.!
- Stowe Old-Fashioned Fourth of July: The town of Stowe, Vermont, located in the shade of Mount Mansfield, will be celebrating this year on July 4th with local food stands, live music, a pie-eating contest, a parade, and its own fireworks show.
- Calvin Coolidge Foundation: Did you know Coolidge is the only president from Vermont? He’s also the only president born on July 4th. The Calvin Coolidge Museum in Plymouth, Vermont will remember him on July 4th with a professional Coolidge impersonator, a chicken barbecue at the Wilder House, and a cheese tasting at the famous Plymouth Artisan Cheese Factory.
- Billings Museum’s Old Vermont 4th: Down the road from Plymouth is the Billings Museum in Woodstock, Vermont, an operational old-fashioned dairy farm. There will be flag making, hand-cranked ice cream, wagon rides, and democratic debates.
Strike up the band and come join us on July 4th!