The Burlington Bed and Breakfast Common Areas
Guests enjoy reading the morning newspapers (Burlington Free Press, Wall Street Journal, New York Times), reading books, playing board games or just chatting in our sun and living rooms of our Burlington bed and breakfast. Guests frequently order a bottle of wine or beer and a Vermont artisanal cheese plate before heading out for dinner. Each room is comfortably appointed. The sunroom has a flat screen TV with cable service, and a DVD player.
There is a guest refrigerator in the lobby as well as a guest computer and printer from which guests can print their airline boarding passes.
Have a look at these virtual tour links for an in-depth view of our common areas:
The Lang House on Main Street was built as a private residence in 1881 on land once owned by University of Vermont founder and legendary Vermont Green Mountain Boy Ira Allen.
The original owner was Frank Dudley, who commissioned Burlington architect and builder, John McLaughlin, to construct the house. According to local historical records, McLaughlin designed the house from Comstock’s 1881 pattern book. The Carriage House, which is located behind the inn, dates back to 1851.
Research informs that Mr. Dudley was in the lumber business. Barges on Lake Champlain brought lumber and other commodities to the port of Burlington, one of the largest in the northern hemisphere (until the advent of the automobile). The lumber was unloaded and transported to area mills for processing. One can imagine how thrilling it was to work with an architect on the various exterior and interior features of this Queen Anne Victorian that also features Charles Eastlake interior design characteristics and furnishings.
The house at 360 Main Street remained a private residence until the mid-1970s when a local real estate firm, Lang Associates, purchased the property and gave the house its name.
In 2000, the Lang House was converted to an 11-room Burlington, VT bed and breakfast inn. The property’s historic nature was preserved while contemporary amenities and numerous life safety features were added.
Guests enjoy architectural qualities and appointments one would expect in a late-19th century Queen Anne Victorian home: stained glass windows, gorgeous woodwork, soaring ceilings, period furnishings and antiques, and plaster detailing. The rosette or bull’s eye pattern is repeated in various ways throughout the house.
The Carriage House barely resembles its humble and utilitarian origins. The two guest rooms in the Carriage House – Galloway and McClurkin – have simple wood work and have a cottage ambiance.